Tuesday, June 16, 2015

June 14

More from the Luxembourg American Cemetery. I asked the care taker why American soldiers were buried on foreign soil rather than being brought home as we do now. She told me back then, the decision rested with the soldiers' family; they decided their loved ones' final resting place. She said this is no longer the practice, after WWII all soldiers are now brought home. I found that pretty interesting, that it was even a choice back then.
— with Kathy Tudor Wilkes at Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial.
 
Paul Douglas Rauh: Sorry, the care taker is wrong. Unfortunately the volume of American deaths made it logistically impossible to return American soil. Additionally the ability to quickly get the body home did not exist. Troop ships took almost a week and refrigeration aboard those ships was limited. When Patton died they wanted him returned home but the War Department refused to have a double standard and he too was interred there. When his wife passed she wanted to be buried with him. This too was a no go for the double standard reason. Their children reportedly smuggled some of her ashes there.
 
Nancy Franke Holderbaum: Yes, my grandfather said my uncle died (WWII) in Normandy and that is where he will stay. My mom had told me that it caused heartbreak for my grandmother because she wanted his body back here. Some of my family members have visited his grave. 
 
 
 





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment