Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Beautiful Maui!  Friends recommended that I take The Road to Hana so I did.  The ride started off slow with time to absorb the flora and surrounding beauty.  I've included a few pictures of some of it.  Pictures do not do it justice but I tried.  The scenery here is breath-taking!

Then, The Road to Hana changed.  It is death defying and I'm not sure I will do it again!  I was seated behind the driver and at times, the road was only about 6" wider than the vehicle we were in.  I looked out my window to the shear drop into the ocean; no guard rails, no cement barrier, about 3" stood between me and the drop into the water, which was at least 200' below me.  All I could think about was the car tumbling down the cliff into the ocean.  On the other side of the vehicle was the mountain, a straight up
cliff.  I'd seen pictures of roads like this but had never experienced it.  We were able to make several stops and get out of the Death Vehicle and walk down to the water.  The walks were precarious over jagged volcanic rock but well worth the view if you were successful in navigating the path.  Again, took pictures but they don't do justice.  After covering over 600 hairpin turns and cliff hangers, we stopped at the Maui Winery for a well deserved glass of wine.  Returned to the ship a little weaker in the knees but with a head full of beautiful images.  Between the rugged Pacific coast line and the unusual native beautiful flowers, Maui is clearly the prettiest of the islands so far.

Bamboo Tree

 




1 comment: