Sunday, February 22, 2015

Time for more reflecting on the past few weeks.  I've posted some pictures, just a sampling of the tons of pictures that I've taken.   I'm trying very hard to keep my posts on FaceBook short and sweet and to write about my observances on the blog.  To that end, I will try to recap the things I have seen and experienced this past week.

I  am in love with the New Zealand 'way of life' and their attitudes in general.  They are some of the kindest and gentlest people I've met.  They are friendly, laid back, easy going and difficult to agitate.  It's not that I would dare to irritate them but as I have observed  them in stressful, busy or hectic  times (checking  into hostels, trains, restaurants) they just seem to take everything in stride and  with ease.  Nothing  ruffles their  feathers.  I love the way they tell me "no worries"  or  "there you go, love", makes me smile  each and every time I hear it.  Every New Zealander I have run into has been kind, caring and more than pleasant.   Each encounter with them leaves me feeling good and a smile  on my face.   Love  it and I have a wonderful case in point.

Yesterday I rode the Coastal Pacific Train from Picton to Christchurch.  As a approached my assigned seat, I saw that I would be  sitting beside a very well dressed, white haired lady who appeared to be about 70 or so.  As I sat down in my seat, we began to speak and I realized she is a very 'refined' lady with a very formal English dialect. She immediately reminded me of a classic English woman but she was  a New Zealander, from Christchurch returning from visiting her sister in Picton.  She introduced herself  as  Margaret, not  Maggie, but  Margaret, of course.  As you all know, I do not speak a very refined English language so I am trying very carefully to speak properly to this nice lady and it's a hell of a struggle but I'm managing.  During this 5 hour train ride, we became very good friends.  We talk about my travels so far and where I am headed and she enlightens me with great information and tips about the places I am headed to.  During the train ride, she alerts me to upcoming areas worthy of some great pictures  so I was able to get some fantastic photots during the ride.  I learn she is a retired  special ed teacher and we talk about that as well.  She is a wealth of information about the earthquake that hit Christchurch, its devastating effect on  the residents of Christchurch and the town's effort to rebuild.   I  listen to her talk about trying to find  her adult children (they were all fine), the cell phones that no longer worked and the fear in everyone's mind during each and every after-shock, not knowing if it would be another massive earthquake or just a  small tremmor.  My five hours with her were amazing.  As we neared Christchurch, she asked me where I was staying and I told her about the hostel.  I asked her if there would be taxis at the train station and she assured me there would be.  We continued to converse and as we pulled into the station, she offered to take me to my hostel.  She was being met by her husband and she said she would "check with him" but she felt he would not mind.  I was floored  by her generosity and kindness.  As we disembarked, she walked over to an older gentleman and kissed him gently on the cheek.  They conversed and she walked back to me and told me he would "be delighted" to drive me to my hostel.  My friends, you just don't  run into this kind of hospitality back home.  They gave me a quick tour of the highlights of Christchurch and dropped me off at the hostel.  I gave her a big hug and  walked away with  such warm feelings.  I love the  people of New Zealand!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures and the narratives, especially the one about the "proper" English lady. I bet she was as impressed with you as it sounds like you were of her.
    I think the blog is current. Let me know if I missed anything. Keep the stories and pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fantastic to me, thanks Gwen!!

    ReplyDelete