Saturday, May 9, 2015

 Today we went to Tienanmen  Square, wow!!  We all remember the famous picture in the late 1980's of the lone protester facing off with the tank in Tienanmen Square, the  Chinese public palace/meeting place.  I stood in the place where history was made and the chills just ran up and down my  spine.  I imagined being upset with the government, frustrated at how to express my dissatisfaction at the present regime and trying to find a way to tell my leaders that our present system wasn't working.  I imagined facing my fellow citizen, a member of standing in the Chinese government/military and holding my ground in the face of such power.  The place is huge and is still draws millions of people every day.  It is so emotionally moving to be in these history making locations.

We went on to the Forbidden City, the former residences of some of China's oldest, most powerful dynasties and then to the Summer Palace of the old dynasties of China.  The architecture is beautiful even though so much has been destroyed over the past years of conquest.  Hope you enjoy the pictures!



Forbidden City






 Summer Palace
 



6 comments:

  1. Pat all I can say is WOW! Keep up the good reporting and keep the pictures coming. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My home away from home for 4 years. Felt the same upon setting foot in Tiananmen Square. Were you able to view the Great Leader? PLEASE take the luge down from the Wall. It's a must. The Juyong Pass of the Wall is so less crowded. You'll be able to take it all in without the surge of tourists. The Terracotta Warriors will be another life changing event. I hope you're able to spend time at the Pearl Market. You will laugh so hard. Go up the back stairwell at the shoe department. There are fantastic pearl and jade shops separate and apart from downstairs. Keep on truckin' girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know why my posts are duplicated. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete